July 22, 2010

THE best pancakes!

Although I'm not a fan of all the recipes in Sally Fallon's book,  Nourishing Traditions; THIS recipe rocks!


It takes a tiny bit of preparation, in that you have to soak the whole wheat (or whatever grain you use) overnight. It's definitely worth it.


Nourishing Traditions Pancakes:
  • 2 C. Freshly ground (yeah right) Whole Wheat, Spelt, or Kamut Flour.
  • 2 C. Buttermilk, Yogurt, or Kefir. (I use buttermilk.)
  • 2 Eggs lightly beaten.
  • 1/2 t. Sea Salt. (Never have it--table salt won't make the batter spontaneously combust.)
  • 1 t. Baking Soda.
  • 2 T. Melted Butter.
 Soak flour in buttermilk 12-24 hours.

Stir in other ingredients and thin to the consistency you want with water.

Cook. 
(I line 'em up on our electric griddle.)

They take a little longer than the usual pancake batter. A few minutes on each side.

In the book, it says the recipe serves 16-20. However, I find that when I make them, I end up with 12 pancakes. I use a 1/4 C. measuring cup to pour onto the griddle.




They don't look like much. But, give grain soaking a chance! Nutty, chewy, a little sour. They are REALLY good. Pour on a little love, butter and real maple syrup. Happy me. Happy kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by~