September 28, 2010

Our mountain is waiting...

      

I've been a slacker about blogging lately. Mr. Deem will be up for his deployment to Afghanistan here soon. Life has been precious. Slow. Sad. Sweet. 

We had two weeks of leave in September. It was so stinkin' wonderful to have time as a family. Jason has been working like the crazy type-A that he is, doing projects around the house. It's really humbling to see how hard he is willing to work for his family. During leave, we headed to Sea World, in San Antonio. The kids LOVED Shamu. I was way more impressed than I care to admit.  How the heck do they train a killer whale to #1. NOT eat the trainers, and #2.Wave to ME!? (How did they know I was so special?) Jason and I had a few teeny parenting fails when we took the kids on rides that were way too intense for them. I think Kennedy really thought we were trying to kill her after we took her on the, Journey to Atlantis. What can I say? I like rides. I thought maybe it was genetic. Eventually, they found the little kiddy Shamu roller coaster, and the Rio Loco
(towards the bottom of the page); we were redeemed in the eyes of our children. Score.

Mr. Deem feeding the dolphins; who--by the way, cost more to feed during lunch than our whole family!


After Sea World, our family, my sister and her husband all headed to Olive Garden. There isn't one closer than an hour's drive away from here...so I made sure to eat enough to tide me over for the next six months.

My sister's husband is kind of a saint, and entertained the kids in the back of the van while we waited for seats at Olive Garden.



The next day we headed to the Houston Children's Hospital, and finally got all Ray's blood drawn for her tests. It was really nice to get feedback from someone who specializes in international adoption, and some affirmation in the parenting department. The doctor said that Reagan is not behind in any way. We expected some speech delays, but even in that department, she seems to be doing great. 
Sad Ray with bandages on her arms from the 10 gallons of blood they drew.

So now...we wait. 

Jason and I are both ready to get this deployment started (already!); so it can be over. I know that God is totally holding us in His hands. I see that now more than I ever have. But, I'd be a liar if I didn't admit to some serious anxiety on both our parts. Mostly, I want to be strong and experience the kind of character building that only seems to happen when you are challenged. However, at times I would definitely like to crawl into bed and stay there!



So, here starts another Deem adventure. I'll keep you posted~


(When I need help I turn to the Bible. And, of course, Dr. Seuss!)

In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.    John 16:33

(Excerpts from, "Oh! The Places You'll Go!" )
You will come to a place where the streets are not marked.
Some windows are lighted.
But mostly they're darked.
A place you could strain both your elbow and chin!
Do you dare stay out?
Do you dare go in?
How much can you lose?
How much can you win?

I'm afraid that sometimes you'll play lonely games too.
Games you can't win 'cause you'll play against you.

All Alone!
Whether you like it or not,
Alone will be something you'll be quite a lot.

And when you're alone, there's a very good chance,
You'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants!
There are some, down the road between hither and yon,
That can scare you so much you won't want to go on.

You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know.
You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left.


TODAY is your day! 

Your mountain is waiting.

So...get on your way!


~Dr. Seuss







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by~